Atlanta, GA, is known for plenty of things, like having the busiest airport in the entire world and its hip-hop music, but they’re also famous for its attractions. Some of the areas that stand out the most include: Zoo Atlanta, Georgia Aquarium, Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical Park, World of Coca-Cola, Centennial Olympic Park, and SkyView Atlanta.
While Atlanta can have higher crime rates in some areas, like any other city in the world, there are PLENTY safe areas to call home – including suburbs. For those who don’t know what a suburb is, it’s an area within a metro area with a mixture of commercial and residential use.
There are plenty of benefits to settling down and living in a suburb, but some of the highest-ranked reasons include more space, lower home prices, highly ranked schools, and even lower crime rates.
Have you already explored the safest neighborhoods in Atlanta but feel like suburbs are a better fit for your lifestyle? Here are the top suburbs of Atlanta with the lowest crime rates!
Alpharetta, GA | Growing Music Scene
- Population: 66,108
- Square miles: 26.9
- People per square mile: 2,457.5
- Median age: 41 years old
- Median household income: $122,326
- Homes for sale in Alpharetta, GA
- Median home price: $601,000
- Median rent: $2,083
- Crime rate: 1,229 per 100k people, which is 47.6% lower than the national average
While Alpharetta was originally known for being the “Technology City of The South,” it’s becoming the hub for new artists. Home to the Ameris Bank Amphitheatre, Alpharetta’s music scene has been growing and continues to flourish.
This beautiful suburb of Atlanta is perfect for people of all ages, from families, retirees, and young adults. There are plenty of great schools to choose from and plenty of fun things to do. In Alpharetta, outdoor activities are the most common, so Rock Mill Park, Webb Bridge Park, Wills Park Recreation Center, and Avalon are just a few of the top attractions in Alpharetta.
View this post on Instagram
Decatur, GA | Great Place To Raise A Family
- Population: 24,814
- Square miles: 4.6
- People per square mile: 5,398
- Median Age: 38 years old
- Median household income: $114,615
- Homes for sale in Decatur, GA
- Median home price: $325,000
- Median rent: $1,545
- Crime rate: 1,994 per 100k people, which is 15% lower than the national average
Are you thinking about moving to Decatur, GA? Decatur is a one-of-a-kind place to live and has plenty of festivals to attend, historic structures to explore downtown, and one of the best food scenes known to man. This Atlantic suburb is the perfect place if you have kids or are looking for a place to settle down.
View this post on Instagram
Johns Creek, GA | Low Crime & Great Place To Retire
- Population: 82,078
- Square miles: 30.8
- People per square mile: 2,663.7
- Median age: 40 years old
- Median household income: $132,870
- Homes for sale in Johns Creek, GA
- Median home price: $629,000
- Median rent: $2,050
- Crime rate: 488 per 100k people, which is 79.2% lower than the national average
Johns Creek, GA, is known for being a welcoming community that is great for families to raise their kids or settle down and retire.
The beautiful Johns Creek is known for its breathtaking outdoors and areas to explore. Some of the top places to check out include the Autrey Mill Nature Preserve & Heritage Center, Newtown Park, Shakerag Park, and Ocee Park.
If you’re more interested in Johns Creek, Atlanta’s food scene, look no further because the RosaMia Ristorante Italiano, Sugo, Trattoria one | 41, Pampas Steakhouse, and Mavericks Cantina are all prime restaurants to explore.
Peachtree City, GA | Known For Using Golf Carts To Get Around
- Population: 35,844
- Square miles: 25.1
- People per square mile: 1,426.1
- Median age: 44 years old
- Median household income: $100,768
- Homes for sale in Peachtree, GA
- Median home price: $535,000
- Median rent: $1,810
- Crime rate: 1,109 per 100k people, which is 52.7% lower than the national average
As the largest city in Fayette County, Peachtree City, is known for golf carts, with over 10,000 households in the breathtaking city owning a golf cart of their own. While it’s close to Atlanta, Peachtree City still has a small-town feel to the community, making it a great place to call home.
Here’s everything you need to know about moving to Peachtree City, GA!
Sandy Springs, GA | Home To Many Corporate Headquarters
- Population: 107,179
- Square miles: 37.7
- People per square mile: 2,846.1
- Median age: 37 years old
- Median household income: $94,456
- Homes for sale in Sandy Springs, GA
- Median home price: $561,250
- Median rent: $1,533
- Crime rate: 1,531 per 100k people, which is 34.7% lower than the national average
Home to the corporate headquarters of Cox Communications, UPS, and Mercedes-Benz, there are plenty of jobs for the community of Sandy Springs. It’s an affluent neighborhood and has plenty of fun activities: Morgan Falls Overlook Park, Abernathy Greenway Park North, Big Trees Forest Preserve, Heritage Sandy Springs Museum & Park, and the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area- Island Ford.
Are you interested in moving to the beautiful suburb of Sandy Springs? Check out some of the best neighborhoods in Sandy Springs, GA!
Milton, GA | Equestrian & Rural Heritage
- Population: 39,252
- Square miles: 38.5
- People per square mile: 1,019.4
- Median age: 39 years old
- Median household income: $127,487
- Homes for sale in Milton, GA
- Median home price: $790,000
- Median rent: $2,138
- Crime rate: 550 per 100k people, which is 76.6% lower than the national average
While Milton, GA, is known for its rural and equestrian heritage, it’s also an affluent place to live— it’s also a great place to move to and settle down. The total crime rate is 76.6% lower than the national average, so if you’re looking for a safe suburb to call home, Milton is the place for you!
Tyrone, GA | Voted Top 10 Best Atlanta Suburbs For Families
- Population: 7,427
- Square miles: 12.5
- People per square mile: 593.9
- Median age: 41 years old
- Median household income: $106,422
- Homes for sale in Tyrone, GA
- Median home price: $674,950
- Median rent: $2,350
- Crime rate: 607 per 100k people, which is 74.1% lower than the national average
If you have kids, you know it’s essential to find the best schools to help set your children up for success. Tyrone has been named one of the “Top 10 Best Atlanta Suburbs For Families” by Movoto, so it’s a great Atlanta suburb to settle down in and call home.
While Tyrone is a small town, there are still some delicious food options and restaurants to check out. Chapultepec Mexican Grill, Nikko Japanese Steakhouse, She Craft Co, Kakao Cafe, and Mimmo’s Gourmet Pizza are just a few of the best restaurants in Tyrone, GA.
Tyrone is one of the safest suburbs of Atlanta, with the total crime rate being 74.1% LOWER than the national average!
Woodstock, GA | Vibrant & Fun Downtown
- Population: 32,310
- Square miles: 12.6
- People per square mile: 2,572.7
- Median age: 36 years old
- Median household income: $81,268
- Homes for sale in Woodstock, GA
- Median home price: $400,000
- Median rent: $1,841
- Crime rate: 1,150 per 100k people, which is 51% lower than the national average
Are you looking for a fun and vibrant place to live? Then consider moving to Woodstock! It’s an artsy downtown area that’s filled with a rich history. Whether you’re trying to find a place to meet your girlfriends for a night out on the town, a family-friendly activity, or planning your next date, Woodstock has a place for everyone! A few of the most searched attractions include: Stars and Strikes Family Entertainment Center, Olde Rope Mill Park, Dixie Speedway, Reformation Brewery, Hot Wheels Skate Center, and MadLife Stage & Studios.
Braselton, GA | Filled With Historical Buildings
- Population: 12,178
- Square miles: 13.2
- People per square mile: 922.1
- Median age: 38 years old
- Median household income: $104,097
- Homes for sale in Braselton, GA
- Median home price: $457,500
- Median rent: $1,423
- Crime rate: 1,221 per 100k people, which is 48% lower than the national average
Braselton, GA, is known as being a “revised historic district” and is on a mission to transform run-down homes and buildings while preserving the history behind them, this family-friendly community has 40 current historical buildings. Braselton is part of the Gwinnett County Public Schools District, which is #20 out of 181 school districts in the state of Georgia.
If you’re looking for a fun activity to do throughout Braselton, GA, some of the best attractions include the Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta, Braselton Town Green, and the Caffeine & Octane’s Lanier Raceway.
Map of Atlanta’s Safest Suburbs
For more attractions, restaurants, and things to do in Atlanta, check out our map!
Are you ready to move to an Atlanta Suburb? Wirks Moving is here to help! When you choose our professional, hardworking, diligent, reliable, and trustworthy crew members, we will help make your transition seamless. Call us today at (404) 635-6683 for a free estimate!