People choose to relocate from one city to another for different reasons. You might decide to move from Atlanta, GA, to Houston, TX, because of a new job, getting married, to be closer to family, starting college, or wanting a new start.
We get that transitioning to a new state is a big step, and it can feel overwhelming, especially if it’s your first time, but it doesn’t have to be stressful. When you work with the top-rated crew of movers, we will help to make the relocation seamless and as stress-free as possible–saving you time and peace of mind.
What Moving To Houston Is Like
You might know the common phrase “everything is bigger in Texas,” but why do people move to the second biggest state in America (fun fact: Alaska is bigger than Texas)? The answer is simple: the quality of life. Houston is known for being a place that welcomes everyone, affordable cost of living, and one of the highest destinations for people to relocate to when wanting a fresh start.
- The flavor/culture of Houston: As a multicultural city, Houston has an average of 145 languages known by the different residents.
- Geographic location: Found in Southeast Texas close to the Gulf of Mexico and the Galveston Bay, Houston is part of Harris County.
- What it’s known or famous for: The Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center
- The population of Houston: 2,304,580
- Median household income: $52,450
- Median rent cost: Between $1,670 to $2,940+ depending on the size and number of bedrooms
- Average age: 34
Moving From Atlanta To Houston- What You Need To Know
Are you thinking about making Houston your new home but want to know more about the differences between Atlanta and Houston before making your decision? Here’s everything you need to know!
Breakdown Of Atlanta
In the metro area of Atlanta, GA, a family of four should make $84,795 to live comfortably, according to the Economic Institute Policy.
Atlanta is well above the national average for its crime rate but has lowered in recent years. Right now, the violent crimes in Atlanta are 55.3, compared to the US average of 22.7. Then the property crimes in Atlanta are 75.4 compared to the US average of 35.4.
The median sale price for a home in Atlanta is $427,500.
When it comes to the weather in Atlanta, GA, the spring and summer months are hot, muggy, and sweat-inducing. The fall and winter months are cold, wet, and cloudy, and the average rainfall is 43.1 inches.
Breakdown Of Houston
In the Houston Metro Area, a family of four should make $76,097 to live comfortably, according to the Economic Institute Policy.
While the total crime rate is 91% higher in Houston than in the other parts of Texas, there are plenty of safe neighborhoods within the city of Houston. Even though there’s a higher rate of crime, every area of the country has those parts, and Houston has plenty of safe and family-friendly neighborhoods.
If you’re looking to purchase a home in Houston, the median sales price is $330,000.
As we mentioned earlier, Houston has plenty of safe neighborhoods, check out some of the best areas in Houston, TX: West University, Memorial, Spring Branch, Bellaire, and the Museum District.
While the weather is hot and oppressive in the spring and summer months in Houston, the fall and winter months are cold, wet, and cloudy. The average rainfall per year is 43.7 inches.
As a large metropolitan area, Houston has so many fun activities to partake in throughout the city. Here are some things you need to check out: Downtown Aquarium, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Discovery Green, Buffalo Bayou Park, Gerald D. Hines Waterwall Park, and the Houston Zoo.
You will be part of The Houston Independent School District. If you plan to attend college, check out these great nearby universities: University of Houston Downtown, Texas Southern University, Rice University, Houston Baptist University, and San Jacinto Community College.
The METRO is the form of public transportation in Houston, TX.
Some of the most popular sports teams in the beautiful city of Houston include: the Houston Astros, Houston Texans, and Houston Rockets.
Pros & Cons Of Living In Houston vs. Atlanta
- Pro living in Houston: No state income tax
- Con living in Houston: It can get very hot and humid during the summer
- Pro living in Atlanta: If you love the rain, there is plenty of it
- Con living in Atlanta: High crime rate
While both Atlanta and Houston have some areas with more crimes, there are still plenty of family-friendly neighborhoods. With that said, Houston is the best choice because of the diversity, low cost of living, beautiful scenery, family-friendly, and plenty of places to explore.
Atlanta To Houston Moving Company
When you hire a hardworking and professional long-distance Atlanta to Houston moving company, there is an endless list of benefits. Say goodbye to being stressed and overwhelmed while trying to figure out the details of your relocation on your own. The highly-ranked team will handle all the details for you–allowing you to relax and have peace of mind. Here is a breakdown of services:
- Professional-grade boxes
- Packing supplies and materials
- Packing experts (optional)
- Taking the boxes and placing them in the desired rooms
- Loading your items into the truck
- Delivering and unloading your belongings to your new address
- Storage in Atlanta or Houston (if needed)
You deserve to only work with the best crew of movers. With the #1 relocation company, your transition to your new city will be seamless!
Why Wirks Moving Is Your Best Atlanta To Houston Moving Company Choice
Finding the #1 long-distance moving company for your relocation from Atlanta to Houston doesn’t happen overnight. It requires research and for you to ask plenty of questions. Before signing on the dotted line, make sure to ask your top three companies the following questions:
- What are your Google Reviews?
- How many years have you been doing intrastate relocations?
- Is there GPS on your trucks? Can I track it during the drive to my new home?
- What is your claim rate?
- How long have you been in business?
- What tools do you have to ensure my belongings arrive safely?
Proper Equipment and Training
In addition to asking the questions above, when choosing the best Atlanta to Houston long-distance moving company, you want to take note of the type of equipment, tools, and training they offer their employees.
- Professional moving trucks (20 or 26-foot long beds)
- The age of the trucks
- Furniture blankets
- Dollies (both for boxes and furniture)
- Professional-grade boxes (personal items, wardrobe, and furniture)
- Shrink wrap
- Employees following proper company procedures
- How long has each crew member been part of the team
- Special training
Wirks Moving is a reliable and hardworking team that provides nothing short of the best interstate moving services and top-notch equipment. With state-of-the-art trucks and highly-experienced crew members, Wirks Moving is the #1 Atlanta long-distance mover!
Atlanta To Houston Moving Costs
When it comes to the cost of moving from Atlanta to Houston, each relocation is unique. There are factors that can influence the final price. To give you an accurate quote, our crew will need as much information as possible.
- The amount of items needing to be transported
- Speciality items
- Additional services such as packing/unpacking, storage, and piano moving
- The total distance between your current house in Atlanta and your new residence in Houston
- When you plan on moving because the summer is more expensive than the winter, and the weekends are more expensive than the weekdays
If you would like to receive a free quote, contact our team of experts.
Atlanta To Houston Distances & Travel Information
After the truck is loaded, it will be time to start heading toward Houston. The most common choices of transportation is to drive, fly, or ride the bus to Houston.
Driving From Atlanta To Houston
The drive from Atlanta, GA, to Houston, TX, is around 800 miles. If you drove the speed limit of 60mph that will take about 13.5 hours (if you didn’t take breaks). If you’re looking for the quickest route, it will be I-10 W.
If you want to check out some of the top attractions during your road trip from Atlanta to Houston, here are some of the most popular: Flat Rock Park, Columbus Riverwalk, Beaumont Botanical Gardens, and the Art Museum of Southern Texas.
Flying From Atlanta To Houston
Flying from Atlanta, GA (ATL) to the Houston, TX (HOU) airport will cost around $323 per person, and it will take 4.5 hours to arrive.
Traveling From Atlanta To Houston By Train
If you decide to travel by train, you will take the Amtrak, and depending on the route you choose, the minimum time it will take to get there is right under 35 hours. When it comes to the pricing, it depends on if you choose a coach ticket at $85 or a room for $509.
Thinking about a long-distance move from Atlanta to Houston? Wirks Moving is here to make this transition seamless! As a professional, dedicated, hard working team of crew members, Wirks Moving will only provide grade-A service! Call us at (404) 635-6683 to receive a free estimate!